Mama Melrose’s is a beautifully decorated Italian restaurant in Hollywood Studios. I had heard that they accommodate the gluten-free diner, and that is certainly true! Chef Josh told me that all of their menu items can be modified! They would use rice pasta or substitute for the roux. Their menu is quite extensive, so this was the first time since being diagnosed as a celiac that I could choose ANYTHING on the menu – and it was an Italian restaurant!! It boggled the mind.
Entrees to choose from include:
- Pork Tenderloin with Wild Mushroom Risotto, fresh Vegetables, and topped with marsala Sauce
- Spaghetti Fra Diavolo with clams, Mussels, Calamari, and Shrimp tossed in a spicy Marinara Sauce
- Charred Sirloin Steak topped with Gorgonzola Butter on Roasted Red Pepper Polenta and Grilled Vegetables with a Red Wine Reduction
- Penne alla Vodka with pancetta and Sweet Onion finished with Tomato Basil Sauce, Cream, Vodka, and Pecorino Romano
- Spicy Italian Sausage with Rigatoni Pasta, Peppers, Onions, and Tomato-Basil Sauce topped with Caprino Cheese
- Wood-grilled Tuna basted with a Sun-dried Tomato Pesto served on Grilled Vegetables
- Chicken Pipette – Wood-grilled Chicken over Pipette Pasta tossed with Artichokes, Peas, Roasted Peppers, and Sweet Onions in a Basil Four-Cheese Cream Sauce
- Oven-baked Chicken alla Parmigiana over Spaghetti
- Eggplant napoleon
- There are also 4 different flatbread menu items, but I wonder how they could have been adapted to be gluten-free?
I chose to have the Oven-Baked Chicken alla Parmigiana over Spaghetti. It had been many years since I’d had chicken parm, so I had forgotten that the chicken is breaded. Chef Josh made that gluten-free, too, rather than just not breading it. It was an excellent meal! They brought out gluten-free tapioca rolls. That’s something I’d never get tired of….being served gluten-free bread with a meal in a restaurant.
Saving the best for last….for dessert I was offered either ice cream or a flourless chocolate cake. Naturally, I chose the flourless chocolate cake, and wow! It was excellent and beautifully presented.
Without a doubt, we will definitely revisit Mama Melrose’s on our return trip to DisneyWorld. No question about it!